Pride Week at Tech

In light of promoting inclusion, LGBT pride was once again celebrated on Tech’s campus. Various events were hosted throughout the week in order to spread awareness for the LGBT community. On Monday, students were given a chance to make a pledge to be an ally with their LGBT classmates. A total of 54 students had their picture taken by the Husky statue. Throughout the rest of the week, everything from TED Talks at the Canterbury House to making identity cupcakes allowed students to branch out and broaden their perspective regarding the lives of those in the LGBT community. On Saturday, Keweenaw Pride brought forth the 17th annual Drag Show to campus. Hundreds of community members crowded the Rozsa Center to be entertained by the signature Queens, even presenting a Drag King for the first time ever. Culturally, it represented the expansion of drag history, as participants are becoming more diverse in their identities. While the events were widely enjoyed by the Tech population, a significant underlying meaning remains under all of the fun.  A select few students shared their personal experiences regarding the word “pride” and the importance of it in their life. “I’m an STC (Scientific and Technical Communication) major.

When I was a kid, I found my passion in comic books. I always wanted to be like the heroes I saw, and they became a big influence in my sexual identity. Someday, I want to work for Marvel. I’m so glad that pride is being recognized and celebrated here by those outside the LGBT community,” said Connor Daly, a first year student. For others, pride means being comfortable to seek out the resources on campus. “It’s a work in progress, but there is a strong support system here at Tech,” said Ashley Hauck, a third year computer science major. “I officially came out a few years ago, and began hormone therapy last year. The Hamar House helped a lot, it is a great resource for students. I see Pride Week as really good visibility, more people are talking about it, and more discussion means more awareness.” When asked about inclusion, these same individuals spoke about what they perceive respect to be in the context of their everyday lives. “The best way for students to help is by respecting others’ desires,” Hauck commented. In a world where diversity is becoming increasingly relevant, it is important for our society to come to terms with accepting differences. “Try to accept others, make an effort for others,” Daly remarked. The Hamar House is continuing to provide resources for students in their revamped diverse lecture series. For more information, refer to the event schedule at https://events.mtu.edu/