Run-down of Winter Carnival events

As January rounds out, the much revered tradition of Winter Carnival begins to rear its head. Already events are happening all over campus designed to invigorate, enthuse and entertain. As we have all seen from the snow piles and structural supports rising into the sky, the month-long statue building portion of Winter Carnival has already begun. This year’s theme is “Discover what shines from prehistoric times” and it already is promising to be a fantastic carnival of out-blown proportions. Month-long statue building began on Jan. 10 and will go until 9 a.m. Feb. 6.

Saturday, Jan. 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. is snow volleyball, where teams of 12 have a match of volleyball played on snow at the Recreational Sports Fields. From 3:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. participating organizations will enjoy curling matches at the Calumet Drill House.

Sunday, Jan. 26 has curling from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and snow volleyball from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. From 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. teams of five will compete in soccer played on snow at the soccer fields behind the SDC.

Tuesday, Jan. 28 and Wednesday, Jan. 29 will both have ice bowling from 9 p.m. to midnight in the John MacInnes Ice Arena. Ice bowling consists of using a team member on a sled as the bowling ball who is slid down an ice lane to attempt to knock down as many pins as possible.

Saturday, Feb. 1 has curling from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., snow soccer from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., speed skating from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the John MacInnes Ice Arena and the Winter Carnival Queens Coronation from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Rozsa. The Queens Coronation is where the Winter Carnival queen is crowned and chosen and the winners of Blue Key’s Winter Carnival raffle are revealed. The Coronation is $10 to attend for the general public, but it is free for Tech students.

On Sunday, Feb. 2 there will be broomball from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the broomball rinks outside Walker.

Wednesday, Feb. 5 is when the all-nighter kicks off and Winter Carnival recess begins at 10 p.m. All-nighter statue building begins at 4 p.m. and goes until 9 a.m. Feb. 6. From 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. the ROTC All-Nighter Pancakes can be located in Fisher Hall. From 8 p.m. to midnight, the MUB Board projector will be outside the Van Pelt Library and there will be giveaways to be had. From 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. the MUB Commons will host karaoke.

Thursday, Feb. 6 starts off at 9:30 a.m. with statue judging for both the month-long and all-nighter statues. At 11 a.m until 4 p.m. there will be broomball in the broomball rinks. From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. the Beards Competition will take place in Fisher 135. For the beards competition, a group of men shave in early december and are given two months to grow their beards out in the category of full beard, goatee, and sideburns for a chance to win while presenting their impressive facial hair growth through skits. From 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. there is a crash course in dancing available in the DHH ballroom. Form 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. the women’s basketball team will be playing against Purdue Northwest in the SDC. From 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. the Bigfoot Glowshoe, a glowstick, snowshoe hike will take place at the tech trails across from the SDC. It costs $5 for students to register and the price includes snowshoe rental. If that isn’t your style, from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. the Winter Carnival Stage Revue Show will be taking place in the Rozsa Center. The Stage Revue is when organizations from all over campus come up with themed skits to pay homage to the Winter Carnival theme of the year. They are comedic and hilarious to watch. From 7:30 p.m to 10:30 p.m. the men’s basketball team will be taking on Purdue Northwest in the SDC.

Saturday, Feb. 7 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. will be an intense game of Tug-O-War taking place on the recreational sports fields. From 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. there will be horse-drawn sleigh rides from outside the Walker building. From 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. there will be Downhill skiing at Mont Ripley and from 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. there will be cross-country skiing at the recreational sports fields. Also at the sports fields there will be human dog sled racing from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. From 2 p.m to 5 p.m there will be dog sled rides available outside of Walker. From 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. there will be snowboarding on Mont Ripley At 5:30 p.m. St. Albert’s Ice Chapel will have an ice mass and chili after the service. From 7:07 p.m. to 10:07 p.m. in the Ice Arena the men’s ice hockey team will be playing Lake Superior State. At 9 p.m. Aaron Kominos-Smith, this year’s Winter Carnival comedian will take the Rozsa stage.

Sunday, Feb. 8 will feature the Winter Carnival book sale from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. From 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. the women’s basketball team will be playing Parkside in the SDC. From 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. there will once again be horse-drawn sleigh rides outside the Walker building. At 2 p.m. the men’s basketball team will be playing Parkside in the SDC. From 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. there will be dog sled rides available outside the Walker building. At 2 p.m. the Winter Carnival awards ceremony will take place in the MUB Ballroom A1. From 5:07 to 8:07 the Men’s Ice Hockey team will be playing Lake Superior State at the John MacInnes Ice Arena. At 8:45 p.m. the Torchlight Parade and Fireworks will begin over the Mont Ripley Ski Area. At 9 p.m. the Winter Carnival Snoball will commence in the Rozsa Center.

Friday, Feb. 7, Saturday, Feb. 8 and Sunday Feb. 9 the MTU Film Board will be playing Jurassic Park in celebration of this year’s prehistoric theme. Hopefully one of these events (or all of them) will get you out into the cold, revitalizing air of the Keweenaw to celebrate some good, old-fashioned snow.