Keweenaw Pride presents:19th annual Drag Show

The lights went down and with it, the noise in the auditorium quieted to an anticipatory hush. A representative from Keweenaw Pride comes on stage in beautiful, red and black garb to welcome us to the show. Whoops and cheers filled the room as Joey Black, a Queen who has performed for the MTU Drag Show since the very first show, led us through, giving the crowd a chance to say, if they’re out and comfortable, where they are in the LGBTQIA+ community, leaving no one (not even the straight people) out.

The show was a little faster than usual this year due to the fact that two Queens were unable to attend. One was in Amsterdam at the time and the other Queen had been in a car accident and was still working towards recovery with the hope of returning to Tech for next year’s show.

Of course, the show was not lacking in any regard. The love from the audience was as strong as ever and the glorious, sparkling costumes were positively enrapturing. Nova Divine, in particular, wore massive, stunning headdresses — everything from a giant, pink feathered headdress with ‘MTU’ broadcasting from the center to a larger-than-life feathered black and white captain’s hat, which obscured part of her face. The costumes of each Queen were unbelievably gorgeous and drew the eye where ever they went.

The Queens (and King) were enchanting as usual, but the theme from this year’s show seemed to be some variety of familial acceptance and community unity as well as touching on emotional, personal encounters. Two of the Queens had loved ones in the audience, including the father of one of them who had never seen her perform before.

One of the most emotional moments of the evening was easily Justin Case’s final song which displayed a home video montage documenting his struggle and journey with the legal system to become legally recognized as a male — a battle which he won and announced to uproarious applause. The audience showed their love and support by giving him a standing ovation until the end of his final number.

Andrew Brown, a third-year electrical engineer, has attended the drag show twice now. “It’s not about being straight or gay,” he says. “It’s about having a good time. They’re entertainers, and they’re damn good entertainers, too.” People from all walks of life from old to young and however romantically or sexually inclined one may be are drawn to this show year after year. “Initially, it’s just something different,” Brown says. “You want to see it because you don’t know [what it is]. You come back because it’s amazing; it’s powerful.”

The drag show is an unbelievably important part of community and acceptance here at Tech, uniting people with strong beating music and offering love for just being you. Next year is looking to be a monumental event as it will be the 20th annual drag show, marking two decades since the tradition began and attendees should expect an incredible show. I certainly can’t wait to attend again.