Finnish American Heritage Center hosts celebration of Finnish freedom

Here in the United States, Michigan is home to more Finnish Americans than any other state. It makes sense in the U.P. given our amazing white winters and our similar geography. While there are many celebrations held in the Houghton and Hancock area, this year there will be a very special celebration on Dec 6. Finland is celebrating its one-hundredth year of freedom this year.

On December 6, 1917, Finland declared its independence from Russia. One of the oldest traditions is to light two candles in each home in the evening. It used to be a way to silently protest the Russian oppression before their independence was declared. Shops usually decorate their storefront with the Finish flag while many others dress in white and blue. In the capital, Helsinki, there is an official raising of the flag ceremony and official visits are made to the war memorials of World War II. In 2007, Finland made a 90 year anniversary commemorative coin. One of the sides of the coin shows a nine oar boat with rowers inside, symbolizing collaboration and working as one.

While Finland celebrates its 100th birthday, Hancock will be celebrating in its own way. The Finnish American Heritage Center will be hosting enrichment programs to educate locals about the Finnish language and culture. Classes will begin early October with a $50 fee per student. There are two language courses being held, a level one for those with no Finnish experience, and a level two for those with some skill with the language. There is also a spinning class, however, you do not need to bring your own spindles or spinning wheels. The last class offered is a “Finland in the 21st Century” class. It covers different parts of the contemporary Finnish such as the economy, culture, sports, arts, and religion. There is no age limit for these classes, so everyone is encouraged to give them a try.

Another great way to celebrate Finnish culture is to enjoy a Finnish breakfast at Suomi; they offer great Finnish style breakfast and pastries. There is also a gallery featuring Finnish and American artists in the Finlandia University Gallery now through now until December as well as a Nordic film series. The second Thursday of each month the Finnish American Heritage Center hosts a movie celebrating the area’s Nordic history.

These events are all a great way to learn more about a culture that has such a big importance to the Keweenaw area, plus it’s not every day that a country turns 100.