Michigan music medley

Last Friday, Feb. 3, amidst the busy schedule of the Rozsa Center, Michigan Tech’s Superior Wind Symphony played their “Michigan Music” show. The Supe­rior Wind Symphony is technically a class, but students audition one-on-one with the conductor to get in. The symphony prides itself in the diversity of its members. The ensemble is built completely with stu­dents who are not majoring in music but have a passion for it. In their last concert, “Michigan Music,” they played pieces by composers and artists who originate from Michigan. “Graceful Ghost Rag” by Wil­liam Bolcom, “Solitary Dancer” by War­ren Benson and “Coat of Arms” by George Kenny are a few of the pieces the Superior Wind Symphony played last Friday.

“In middle school I played the alto saxo­phone and in high school I started play­ing the baritone saxophone. My family has always been really big into music and I guess I got roped into it, but it’s okay be­cause I love it now. I have played in wind ensembles for as long as I can remem­ber. I auditioned for the Superior Wind Symphony because I wanted to keep my skills up and improve. I think my favorite piece we played Friday was Stevie Won­der’s “Overjoyed”. I really like the overall peppy and jazz feel. The thing I like the most about the Superior Wind Symphony is that it lets me continue to improve mu­sically. I think that playing an instrument is a skill worth having later on in life,” said Mitch Dekutoski, a first year student ma­joring in exercise science. This spring se­mester is his first time with the Superior Wind Symphony playing the tenor saxo­phone.

If you missed the Superior Wind Sym­phony last Friday, there is another live mu­sic event on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. The Keweenaw Symphony Orchestra is com­ing to the Rosza to perform “The Great­est Movie and Video Game Music.” They will play select well-known pieces from movies such as “Star Wars” and “Lord of the Rings” along with popular video game music from games like Call of Duty and Super Mario. Metro Jazz Voices, a world-class vocal jazz group from Detroit will be performing alongside the Keweenaw Symphony Orchestra to lend their voices for some of the pieces. Watching their performance is a great way to escape the cold and relax during the busy week of Winter Carnival!