This week at USG

This week at USG, Secretary Cheyenne Scott reminded members that USG elections for both E-Board and At Large representatives will occur next week. These elections will open at 8 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 21, and close at 8 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 28. Students can expect to receive an email regarding this election and are encouraged to vote for their choice of representative. 

Members of USG will be available at a booth in the library from Wednesday, Feb. 23 to Tuesday, March 1 to discuss their constitution with interested students and attempt to secure the remaining necessary votes to approve the document.

Student Affairs Representative Ian Boulis announced an upcoming town hall meeting to discuss the concerns regarding dining services. This town hall will be held on Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. 

The body voted to allocate $1000 of the requested $5000 for the Snowboard Racing Opportunity Fund Request. Historically this team has operated under a higher budget, but as they failed to show up for last year’s budgetary meeting, this was revoked. 

Vice President and Flex Representative Ethan Gerds discussed the recent email students received regarding the upcoming move to Health and Safety Level One. According to the email from MTU President Rick Koubek, at this level “face coverings will continue to be encouraged, but not required, on campus.” This decision comes as a surprise to many, Flex team members included. T

President Zach Olson discussed the reaffirmation of Resolution No. 2020-2021 #006, in support of Fall Break and Institutional Wellness. USG voted in favor of this resolution, encouraging the university to adjust the academic schedule in order to promote greater long-term academic success. This resolution would introduce a two day holiday during the seventh week of the fall semester, to be compensated for by beginning the semester two days earlier. President Olson offered an analogy, saying, “I am a Chemical Engineer by training, and I see this opportunity as a pressure relief valve… which benefits the entire campus community.”