The following article ran in the Nov. 19, 1921 issue of the M.C.M. Lode.
Mr. K. Yoshizawa, chief engineer of the Mitsui Mining Co., Ltd., of Tokyo, visited the college last week in company with Jonathan A. Noyes, Duluth district manager for the Sullivan Machinery Co. The trip to the college was made principally to inspect the mine models in the Mining building, and to observe American methods of technical instruction.
While in the Copper Country, Mr. Noyes and Mr. Yoshizawa visited the John A. Roebling’s Sons wire mill, the Quincy stamp mill, the Quincy smelter, and the Quincy No. 2 surface plant, with special attention to the big hoist.
Mr. Yoshizawa, who in addition to his work with the Mitsui company, is a lecturer in the mining School of the Japanese Imperial University, expressed himself as highly pleased with the course and methods of instruction at M.C.M. He stated that in his trip through the United States he had not found another mining school which combined the practical and the theoretical in such a satisfactory proportion.
The Mitsui Mining company operates eight coal mines, three metal mines carrying a wide variety of rich sulphide ores, a sulphur mine, a general metal refinery, a by-product coke and gas power plant and dye manufactory. Their production in 1918 included 3,700,000 tons coal, 31,000 oz. gold, 637,000 oz. silver, 41,000 lbs. copper, 5,750 tons lead, 10,400 tons zinc, 15,700 lbs. arsenic, 1888,000 lbs. tungsten, 7,000 tons sulphur, 114,000 tons coke, 1,300 tons ammonium sulphate, and a variety of oils, intermediates, dye-stuffs and chemicals.