“I love you, you’re perfect, now change:” Off-Broadway musical comes to Michigan Tech

What does love truly mean? This is quite a loaded question for most people. Love, in my opinion, can be indescribable. How do you say in words the feelings you get for someone who, well, just makes you… happy?

Or, on the other side of it, how do you convey the attachments you have to the people who raised you and who you share your bloodline with? Like it or not, The dreaded celebration of Valentine’s Day is almost here everyone, and you know what that means….either a romantic day with your partner, or the lovely self care day to yourself buying chocolate and junk food, watching Netflix, and laughing at those stupid Valentines Day memes on Instagram.

There’s so much to do around the cold winter months especially for Valentine’s Day…you can go skating, go to a movie, or even go sledding. If you don’t mind spending Valentine’s Day a little bit late, consider going to see the upcoming play “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” beginning Feb. 20 that, perhaps, will answer the questions we all have about the indescribable feeling we all experience.

The play is a musical comedy that first performed as an Off-Broadway musical in New York City that lasted twelve years before becoming a worldwide hit. The play has been performed in cities all around the world and has been translated into many different languages.

“I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” centers around common experiences that many American adults bear such as in-laws, first dates, and children. These experiences are all brought together through an interesting style of small but comical vignettes and musical songs that are connected by the idealized order of experience (meaning: first date, engagement, marriage, childbearing).

The play is only performed, however, by an extremely small number of actors and actresses. Despite the small number of performers, the show makes up for it with it’s loud and witty performances and showtunes. Broadway World calls the show “poignant, cute, funny, and totally relatable” while Pocket Size Theatre says “with catchy melodies and relatable lyrics, this show has a winning formula.” With the tagline of the play being “everything you have ever secretly thought about dating, romance, marriage, lovers, husbands, wives and in-laws, but were afraid to admit,” the play is sure to bring some laughs to McArdle.

The play brings home the theme of modern romance, relationships, and love in modern-day America.

“I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” is going to be held in the McArdle Theatre (Walker 207) with it’s opening night on Thursday, Feb. 20 from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. However, if you are not able to attend the play that night, don’t worry. The play will also run for six more performances with performances on Feb. 21, Feb. 22, and then the 26th through the 29th at the same time as the opening show.

As always, the show is free to Michigan Tech students with their ID. The general public is also invited with tickets costing $15 for adults and $5 for children. Tickets can be purchased in advance at the MTU ticketing website, or by calling the MTU Central Ticketing Office. Get out there and take advantage of this fantastic Broadway-quality musical we have coming here to MTU, and why not bring your partner along too!