Get ready to Geek U.P.!

This Saturday. Michigan Tech is hosting an event for all the geeks out there in the Houghton-Hancock area. If you’ve got firstweek blues, then this comic based event is sure to lift your spirits.

Geek U.P. is a celebration of art and geek culture that is not only from right here in our little corner of the universe, but also abroad. This is an event like Comic Con, but it also raises money for charity while maintaining a reasonable expense for broke college kids. Self-described as a “mini-con” the convention will offer an artist alley, vendors, cosplay, workshops, panels and gaming tournaments as well as break out events and the opportunity to sit through Q&A sessions with some revered celebrity guests. Geek U.P. was founded by Black Ice Comics owner Shana Porteen and Patricia Summersett in an effort to give a little something back to the community. This year will be the third annual Geek U.P. and the event is only growing better and better!

The celebrity guests include Dean Haglund who plays Richard “Ringo” Langly from The Lone Gunmen and is also an actor in X-Files. He is a Canadian actor as well as a stand-up and improv comedian, and he is also the inventor of the Chill Pak, a cooling product for laptop computers. Haglund will be available for a Q&A from 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Gerald “Jerry” DeCaire will also be taking part in this year’s Geek U.P. event. He is one of the original artists for Deadpool and is well known for Thor, Wolverine, and Green Hornet. The Michigan native will be traveling to the U.P. and taking part in the Q&A and autograph sessions. In addition to events like this, DeCaire also travels to schools and demonstrates how math and science combine with art in order to create a superhero. He will be giving a presentation from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the day of the convention.

Finally, Patricia Summersett, a hometown hero from the Upper Peninsula, will be available for Q&As and autographs. Summersett was cast as Princess Zelda in the new Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game by Nintendo. She is an American Canadian actress/ voice actress, as well as having a part in a Montreal-based band. Summersett will be available for a Q&A from 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Autograph sessions will be available intermittently from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., and 6:45 to 7:30 p.m.

With such incredible people coming to answer your questions and the variety of artists and events to see, this is certainly an event that you won’t want to miss! Additionally, this lovely little event is raising money for a charity — so you’re not only doing a good thing for yourself, but you’re doing a good thing for others, as well. This year, Geek U.P. is fundraising for DDIY, or Don’t Do It Yourself, an organization dedicated to providing an emergency funding source for the people of Houghton and the Keweenaw who are facing financial hardship due to a medical crisis.

If that isn’t enough to make you want to go, and you’re worried about how many times I’ve mentioned “cost” and “money,” fear not! Geek U.P. charges only $10 for adults, $5 for kids, and $5 for Michigan Tech and Finlandia University students with ID. Oh yes, you heard correctly. $5 for access to all that glorious geeky goodness.

Tickets are sold at Black Ice Comics, the comic book store in downtown Houghton, located at 403 E Lakeshore Dr., Houghton, MI 49931 or at the door of the event. It’s always safer to get your tickets sooner rather than later, though.

The event will be held on Saturday, Sept. 14 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the MUB Ballroom. The artist alley and vendors will open and the silent auction will begin at 1 p.m., and they will close around 7:30-8 p.m.

Geek U.P. is sponsored by Black Ice Comics, Eagle Radio, and Laurium Mannor Inn.