The Lode

Society of Intellectual Sisters raise breast cancer awareness with 15th annual Bra Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Designs are perfect for a variety of bodies and feature some of the creative talent of Tech students.

Aemili Lipzinski, Pulse Editor

Let’s talk about it, okay? I was going to try and find a way to ease into this topic without making it all about breasts, but let’s be real. Breast cancer affects men and women is something that we should all be aware of and supportive of survivors, sufferers and families alike. You read that right, men can get breast cancer, too. Even though the male breast cancer rate is one in a thousand, it’s still important to know that not all lumps are normal.

The Society of Intellectual Sisters or SIS is an organization at Michigan Tech that was established to promote sisterhood, primarily among African American women, but not limited to them. It also promotes scholarship among members and seeks to develop unification and cultural diversity at the university and community through service and fundraising. One of the ways that SIS accomplishes their goal is with their annual Bra Show, currently in its 15th year.

The Bra Show seeks to raise awareness and money for breast cancer so that the topic can be brought up in a lighthearted and fun way. The show features male models wearing student designed bras, supplies for which are available for free before the show at various workshops. The last workshop for this year’s bra show is taking place tonight, March 21 from 5-7 p.m. in Fisher 327B.
This year’s theme is Winter Wonderland, drawing its inspiration from the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. Students were able to start building the bras at the February 26 workshop. While the show is all fun and games, it brings to light a far more serious issue that is not romantic or beautiful. Over the course of her lifetime, 1 in 8 women will develop invasive breast cancer which is approximately 12% of women in America. This painful cancer has about a 90% 5-year survival rate and an 83% 10-year survival rate. Catching breast cancer early is key to survival and cure as the 5-year survival rate of women with cancer in the breast tissue only is 99%.

Women should check for breast cancer once a month at least, but should be comfortable with what their breasts normally feel like throughout their cycle. The best time to do a self exam is 3 to 5 days after the menstrual period begins. Checking at the same time every month is the most important though. While men may not need to check as often, they should be able to notice rather quickly if things are different in the chest area. If a man were to be diagnosed with breast cancer, it would most likely be found in the form of a hard lump. Breast cancer in women can take many forms though and requires a more intensive and regular exam.

All donations and proceeds from the Bra Show will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. The NBCF was founded in 1991 by Janelle Hail and educates women around the world about breast cancer as well as providing free mammograms to women in need. The Bra Show will be this Saturday, March 23 from 6-8 p.m. in the MUB Ballroom. It is free to attend and is in support of a great cause.