The Lode

Getting ready for the holidays: shopping for gifts in Houghton

Maddie Steger, Editor in Chief

The Home for the Holidays Gift Mart was held last Saturday in the Rozsa Center and was a huge success. There were plenty of local vendors that set up their booths for curious attendees.
Since the holidays are approaching fast, now is a good time to start planning what you’re going to get everyone this year. Luckily, if you missed the Home for the Holidays Gift Mart, there will be plenty of other opportunities to go out and find something unique for that special someone in your life, all while supporting the local businesses here in the Keweenaw.

A craft and vendor sale will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1 at The Church of Resurrection in Hancock. There, you will be able to find crafts, art and vendors selling their various wares.

The 42nd annual Poor Artist Sale will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday as well at the Copper Country Community Arts Center. This is the place to go if you are looking for some handmade jewelry, pottery, blown glass, paintings, baskets, wood art, stained glass, rugs or anything in between. More than 50 artists will be attending, so you’re sure to find something even the pickiest person will love.

As always, there are plenty of one-of-a-kind stores located in downtown Houghton and Hancock.

My personal favorites are K.C. Bonkers in Hancock, Chickadees in Houghton and Urban Rustics in Houghton. The Mineral Museum is also a great place to look for gifts as well as From the Past Antiques in Hancock.

If all else fails, don’t be afraid to resort to a gift card or money. Everyone appreciates those too.