The Lode

Big changes taking place at the Lode

Back to Article
Back to Article

Big changes taking place at the Lode

Changes to the Lode website are only one small portion of the alterations that will be taking place over the next year here at the Lode. We are striving to make the student newspaper a reliable source of local news, cultural events, technology and a voice for the community's opinions.

Aemili Lipzinski, Pulse Editor

The Michigan Tech Lode has passed from hand to hand, going through three editors in chief in the last year and a half. As a result of this and because of the field trip the Lode took to a press convention in Kentucky, some large changes will be implemented so that the Lode might better serve the community. One major change was our website so that it might be more professional. We have hired out the maintenance of the website and it is already looking cleaner, more crisp and is functioning better than ever.

Another more drastic change is the move from a three page Sports section to a one-page Sports section and a two-page Tech section, to be implemented next semester. We thought that the community might be more interested in technology and campus research, and that this is a niche subject that isn’t getting proper coverage in our newspaper today. We will be hiring a new Tech editor, and we hope to transition to a three-page Tech section.

We have also introduced a new column in the Pulse section called the Nice List. This column was created with the intention of generating more audience involvement while simultaneously allowing for pleasant and kind things to be said in the newspaper. Once the Tech section is up and about, another column will be introduced for the professors of Michigan Tech so that students can get to know their professors a little better.

Look forward to seeing these changes and more as we hone in on our newspaper identity, and, as always, we would love to hear back from you. Please send any comments or feedback to [email protected]

*Note: This article ran 11/29/2018