Michigan Tech offers the Greatest Homecoming “under the big tent” tailgating event

The air was cool and crisp as my friends and I hiked up the hill towards Sherman Field on Saturday afternoon. We were excited for our first Michigan Tech Homecoming, and most importantly, the tailgating and football game. As first-year students, we weren’t sure what to expect. Soon, a big white tent came into view, as did the yellow and black stripes of the Pep Band’s overalls. Our mouths watered as the smell of grilling hot dogs and hamburgers lead us towards the “Under the Big Tent” Homecoming tailgating event. Students and other fans alike gathered to enjoy the food and drinks provided to them by MTU’s Dining Services.

Under the big tent, there were tables and chairs set up for students to enjoy the food and each other’s company. Besides the grilled food, there was fruit, hot cocoa, juice, beer, and other snacks. It was just like any typical tailgate, except this one was full of Husky fans decked out in black and yellow, ready to support their school.

The members of the 2018 Homecoming Court greeted everyone that entered, in their matching hoodies and sashes, chatting about the events of Homecoming, the approaching football game against Saginaw Valley State University, and overall, just enjoying the time with their fellow Husky friends. Though the football team would later lose the game, Husky fans gathered to celebrate the team and the spirit of “The Greatest Homecoming” with food and friends.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles also joined in on the fun of the day, offering students a chance to both network with their employees and celebrate Tech’s Homecoming. They also offered food for tailgaters to enjoy free, like bottled water and assorted snacks. My friends and I briefly chatted with the FCA representatives, and also enjoyed some puppy kisses, as one of the reps had brought along his dog. It was a fun and more casual way to get to know those at Fiat Chrysler without the added pressure of formality at Career Fair.

Though the food was great, and there seemed to be a decent amount of people that attended, the event did seem to lack some in the entertainment area. There were a few yard games for students to play, but there was not much participation. I think if the weather would have been a little nicer, there would have been more energy at the event, but as we are well aware of here at Tech, there’s nothing you can do about Michigan weather! It was a good event for bringing friends together to celebrate the Huskies, but it likely would have been less fun without friends there. This was definitely a good opportunity to get a group together rather than going alone.

Even though we were not dressed properly for the windy and cold weather, and the Huskies suffered a heartbreaking loss on the football field, I would still consider this Homecoming to have been a great show.