Huskies beat Purdue with shutout victory

HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech soccer team wrapped up the weekend with an impressive 3-0 shutout victory in a non-conference match at Purdue Northwest Sunday afternoon. The Huskies opened the weekend with a 1-0 win at Wisconsin Parkside Friday and with Sunday’s decision, it gives them back to back shutouts and their third win in a row.

“I’m happy with the two wins this weekend and it was great to have three different players put the ball into the back of the net today,” Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. “We had some solid moments during the game and will continue to work on creating more of those as we head towards next week’s matches.”

Michigan Tech (4-1-1) went right to work and established an early lead Sunday afternoon. Senior Marisa DeMario unloaded two shots at the net in the seventh and 10th minutes, with both having to be saved by goalie Halle Stork. The Huskies’ attack then broke through for the first goal of the match less than a minute later. Freshman Grace Shaw struck the ball and beat the goalkeeper to the left for a 1-0 lead. In the process, Shaw notched her fourth goal of the year, with all of them being credited as game winners.

Tech kept the pressure on and chalked up another goal in the 28th minute to make it a 2-0 score. Freshman Tate Robison collected a pass from Shaw who sent the ball in from the left side of the field. Robison fired the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net for her first career goal. Shaw was credited with her second assist of the 2018 campaign.

Meanwhile, Tech’s defense kept the Purdue Northwest (2-5-0) offense away from the net throughout the majority of the first half. The Pride did get one solid look at the net near the end of the first half, but sophomore goalie Amanda Young was there for the Huskies to pick up the save on a strike off the foot of Shelby Ross.
The Huskies carried the 2-0 lead into the halftime break and then put goal number three of the day on the board in the 58th minute. Sophomore Brooke Schauer got an opportunity on a penalty kick and made the shot count for her first goal of the 2018 season.

The Huskies defense made the lead hold up from there. Freshman goalie Erika Gabriel tallied her first collegiate save for the Huskies in the 75th minute to help preserve the 3-0 advantage. Gabriel played all 45 minutes of the second half in front of the net and shared the shutout with Young who made the start and played the first half.

DeMario and freshman Gabby Sgambati each took a match high three shots for the Huskies. Shaw attempted only one shot, but made it count for her fourth goal of the season while adding an assist in Sunday afternoon’s match. Robison had a goal on her only shot of the afternoon while Schauer blasted two shots with one goal to her credit.

The Huskies controlled the match, owning a 16-4 advantage in total shots and 6-2 edge in the corner kick category. Young and Gabriel combined to make two saves for Tech with each player logging 45 minutes in front of the net on Sunday. Young started the contest and earned her fourth win of the season in goal for the Huskies.

Ross had a team high two shots for the Pride and one of the teams two shots on goal. Stork played all 90 minutes in front of the net for Purdue Northwest and in the process made five saves.

The Huskies return to Sherman Field on Friday night when they host Ferris State in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opener. Tech will then battle Northwood Sunday afternoon at 12 p.m. to close the weekend. Friday’s match against the Bulldogs is slated for 7 p.m.