Indian Students Association: Gaming Night

The Indian Students Association has always been at the forefront of organizing fun events for students, especially during extremely stressful weeks so they can blow off some steam. This year, too, post-spring break, the ISA organized a few events, one of which was Gaming Night, just a couple days into the most stressful few weeks of the semester. This event took place on March 31 and was free for all ISA members. Registration was required to book a spot in any of the games beforehand and the registration deadline was March 29.

Among the large lists of games available, some were Counter-Strike 1.6, Defense of the Ancients (DOTA), FIFA, and Need For Speed: Most Wanted. The event started at 7 p.m. and the preliminary rounds took place until 9 p.m. with the most competent players being shortlisted at that point. In all the games, the players were able to choose their teams beforehand or go in individually as well. The event was set up in the Daniel Heights Community Hall, and participants were encouraged to bring their own computers and gear while being connected to play on the wireless network. Participants were allowed to register for more than one game but had to manage their time slots on their own. Students were seen streaming down towards the hall throughout the evening. Shaunak Mhatre, a graduate student in the mechanical engineering department, was pitted against Dilip Singh during the quarterfinals of the FIFA contest. After both of them lost, they were all about praising the enjoyable experience. “The setup was good. I was surprised how [this] many participants would be [able to be] cramped in such a small space but the arrangement was very well done, and, especially in such close games, we don’t realize anything else. I was sweating the [whole] time!” he added. The game of Counter-Strike was completed in teams with the classic “Terrorist” versus “Counter-Terrorist” settings, with each team having the opportunity to battle against the other to advance in the further rounds.

Some members of ISA were selected to be the judges and rule keeping was strictly followed by them. Students in large numbers were already at the community hall with their gaming equipment well before the start of the tournament. Rohan Patil was declared the winner for FIFA. DOTA was played in teams and the winning teams consisted of Chinmay Patil, Aishwarya Dhawad and Amey Sawant and two others, all graduate students from the mechanical department. “It was amazing. I hadn’t had so much fun ever playing this ’til now. Also, my teammates did pretty well. We all play DOTA together quite frequently.” said Aishwarya Dhawad when asked how he felt after winning the tournament. The Counter-Strike game saw a huge number of participants. The game was set up on LAN and went on until 9 p.m. In the end, the winners were announced and congratulated by the organizers.

A special shoutout to the newly elected ISA e-board who managed the event under the supervision of the previous members. For further information on any other upcoming events please visit the ISA office in the Memorial Union Building.