Michigan House Cafe and Red Jacket Brewing Co.

This past weekend, by happenstance, I found myself in Calumet with a couple friends and in desperate need of food. I have not spent a lot of time in Calumet, considering I own no car and spend most of my time in Houghton, and I had no idea where to go for lunch. We chose to check out the Michigan House Cafe and Red Jacket Brewing Co., a beautiful building with a long name. The outside looks sleek and modern below with a hotel-looking vintage charm above. As soon as we stepped inside we were enveloped in that warm, exposed brick wall, home-cooked atmosphere so common in restaurants of the Upper Peninsula. The cafe area was much smaller than the outside had led us to believe, but it was not cramped by any means. The walls and ceiling were decorated with northern Michigan paraphernalia like a trail of snowshoes and vintage signs, posters and antlers. Plenty of antlers. Behind the bar and in the bathroom were hand-painted cartoon-style murals of caricatures with rosy cheeks and pints in hand. All over the atmosphere exuded pleasantry.

The waitstaff was prompt, welcoming and quick to fulfill any requests. Two of our party got burgers and one got chili in a bread bowl. The food came out hot and within a reasonable time. The burgers were thick and cooked well, seasoned with a medley of spices that intermingled perfectly and brought out the juiciness of the burger. With the burgers came a mountain of massive hand-cut french fries, nearly smothering the burger, and a pickle spear. It seemed the perfect place to sit down and chat for awhile as the good smells of hot food wafted around the dining area and the drinks were refilled. If you judge the quality of a restaurant the way I do, the fact that they put a maraschino cherry in my cherry coke will have you running to eat there at a moment’s notice. I enjoyed eating there so much, I’ve decided I’ll have to explore other restaurants in the Calumet area just to see if they are just as good.

Their restaurant included locally caught fish that are bought from local fishermen, as well as thick steakburgers, pasta with pesto and chicken, various sandwich wraps and paninis, appetizers like bruschetta and wings, steak, salads and delicious home-made style desserts to top it all of. They serve Coke products and a variety of beer, wine, ale, and stout from Michigan, California, Wisconsin and more. Certainly, if the quality of the few choices we enjoyed was so high, it is worth heading out yourself and taking a taste test!

The cafe has been in business since the 1890s and was a restaurant/pub and hotel. It was believed by some that this establishment was the only restaurant, pub, and hotel near the Calumet theatre for some time. The fascinating history of not only the restaurant itself, as it passed from one set of hands to the next, but also the place where it sits can be found on the back pages of their concise but thorough menu. The friendly staff, delicious food, and calm, home-like atmosphere have me craving more, and I can’t wait to get back and try something new.