Dance, Dance, Theater: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

Michigan Tech has always strived to not only provide top quality education but also to preserve the richest treasures of the art and culture that form a part of our national heritage. The Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts has been the warmest of hosts for some of the finest performers who have expressed their talents, their interests and most importantly their beliefs that have informed history and will inspire the future. On Tuesday, Feb. 27 the Rozsa Center will add another feather to its cap as it gears up for an iconic program featuring artists from the universally revered Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

Ailey II is recognized for merging the spirit and energy of the country’s best young dance talent with the passion and creative vision of today’s most outstanding emerging choreographers. Founded in 1974 as the Alvin Ailey Repertory Ensemble, the company embodies his pioneering mission to establish an extended cultural community that provides dance performances, training, and community programs for all people. Under the direction of Sylvia Waters from 1974 to 2012, Ailey II flourished into one of the most popular modern dance companies, combining a rigorous touring schedule with extensive community outreach programs. With Artistic Director Troy Powell at the helm, Ailey II continues to thrive as he brings a fresh dimension to the beloved company.

The highlight of the program will certainly be Ailey’s choreographic masterpiece “Revelations,” which is believed to be the best known and most performed modern dance in the world. “Revelations” made its debut on the global dance platform on Jan. 31, 1960 at the 92nd Street Y and has since been credited as one of the finest dance pieces of the artistically rich modern dance form. With a perfect blend of grace and spiritual elation, “Revelations” pays homage to and reflects the cultural heritage of the African-American community, what Ailey thought of as one of America’s timeless treasures—“sometimes sorrowful, sometimes jubilant, but always hopeful.”

Another spectacle of the program will be Juel D. Lane’s Touch & Agree, a piece that explores what it is to be in love and how we commit to another person without losing our own identity. To do this, Lane brings his personal experiences as a black gay man to the stage, using such wide-ranging musical sources as Sam Cooke, James Blake, H.E.R., and Byrell the Great. The Atlanta native’s unique style fuses contemporary, African, and hip-hop, bringing a fresh choreographic perspective to the ups and downs of relationships today.

The academy is proud to be an organization constituting highly acclaimed dancers with the academy cornerstone – Alvin Ailey himself being a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Dance Magazine calls Ailey II “second to none,” and The New York Times declares, “There’s nothing like an evening spent with Ailey II, the younger version of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.” Tech awaits an unprecedented program that will certainly add a new dimension to dance lovers in the audience and would spur a newfound interest in others.

The tickets for this event cost: $22.00 for adults, $10.00 for youth, and there is no charge for students with the Experience Tech Fee. To purchase tickets please contact the ticketing office at (906) 487-2073 or visit the Rozsa website at http://www.mtu.edu/rozsa.