Parade of Confections

It is February and the Parade of Confections is making its way back around to the Houghton-Hancock area. This event is a fundraiser for the Copper Country Community Arts Center in Hancock. There will be a live auction of incredible gourmet goodies which will run from 6:30 p.m. until 9 p.m. in the Finnish-American Heritage Center Hall, 435 Quincy Street, Hancock on this Friday, Feb. 23. The auctioneer will be Brad Baltensperger, a professor at Michigan Technological University in the Cognitive and Learning Sciences department.

The Copper Country Community Arts Center offers classes for people of all ages all year long. They are also involved in hosting community and cultural events such as various art installations and the Parade of Confections. It is an excellent opportunity to come out and show your support for local artists and cultural expression in the Keweenaw area. The organization also provides funding for arts projects in Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga, Ontonagon, Gogebic and Iron Mountain. Up to $4,000 goes to the projects and needs of local artists and increasing public availability to the arts.

In addition to the highly anticipated dessert auction, there will also be a silent auction for a variety of other items that may tempt the palate a bit more, such as jewelry, art, and hors d’oeuvres. Live piano will be played by Clay Hilman, co-owner of K.C. Bonkers, a toy and coffee shop in Hancock.

Bidders can participate individually or in groups, but the most important thing to remember is to have fun and enjoy raising money for an organization that does so much to bring art and people together.

Some classes being offered now include an Introduction to Letterpress Printing, Beading in Circles, Floral Acrylic Painting, Sewing Basics for 9th through 12th grades, Still Life Drawing for 3rd through 6th grades and Beginning Wheel II. These classes are being offered in March, and there are more available in April and later on, listed below on their website.

Tickets for this event are $10 in advance or $15 at the door. To learn more or to purchase tickets, please call 482-2333. If you would like to learn more about the types of programs that the Copper Country Community Arts Center offers, please visit http://www.coppercountryarts.com/programs.html.

Drop by and support this organization through sweet, sweet bidding, or stop by their website and sign up for an art class to change up your day-to-day routine. This is a great opportunity not only to donate but also to introduce a new and exciting hobby or into your life. Rich chocolate and enriching experiences are sure to be had with this enticing event.