Red Jacket Jamboree calls storytellers

Michigan’s Copper Country and the Upper Peninsula are privileged to have a live radio variety show: The Red Jacket Jamboree, which showcases stories and songs from local artists. Musicians, singers, songwriters, poets and storytellers are invited to perform their original works in front of a live audience at the famed Calumet Theatre. These shows are recorded and broadcast on the radio at a later date. The Red Jacket Jamboree is a production of Main Street Calumet and Real People Media, a non-profit organization which helps people come together and share their experiences through the literary, visual, performing and media arts. Two radio episodes are recorded per performance. Here, the residents are welcome to attend the live recording of the show and the audience can be a part of two one-hour shows at the Calumet Theatre.

One such event hosted especially in celebration of Valentine’s Day is a storytelling contest. The February show celebrates Valentine’s Day and Winter Carnival and will be hosted by Lena Day along with mesmerizing performances by the Copper Cats, Red Jacket Actors and other special guests. The Red Jacket Jamboree invites the residents of the Keweenaw community to come together and share their stories of “Love in the Copper Country” for the Valentine’s Day Show on Feb. 10. Participants of this contest can present their own stories in front of the avid listeners in the house as a celebration of their romantic memories. The stories presented by the entrants must be true and they must be presented in under six minutes. The stories can be true life experiences of their own or those of a friend or relative. The Jamboree also allows musical accompaniment to these stories at the request of the participants, making the visualization even more realistic and touching, a perfect ambiance for a romantic ensemble.

On this day, the Red Jacket Jamboree is also accepting poetry submissions for the duration of the 2018 season. The poetry should reflect the history, culture or the beauty of the country, its beautiful forests, blue lakes and the adjoining snow-clad peaks in juxtaposition with the scenic topography of the Harbour.

The featured performers for the February show are vocalist Peg Carrothers and Poet Laureate of the U.P., Martin Achatz. Interested skilled people, as well as laymen, should send an email as soon as possible to realpeoplemedia@gmail.com to register for their spots while they last with “Love Stories” as the header. Up to two people will be selected to share their stories for the February show. The selected contestant should free their schedule for the evenings of Feb. 9 and 10. The show is also actively seeking volunteers from the county to assist in the presentation of these shows. Those interested can email with “The Red Jacket Jamboree” in the header with a brief introduction of their skills and talents. The Jamboree will be held on Saturday, Feb. 10 from 7 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. For more information visit www.redjacketjamboree.org .