Heikinpaiva: a Finnish celebration

January seems like an uneventful month to many people. It follows December, which includes many fun and festive holidays. Once January hits, it can seem like there is a lull in the excitement that celebrations bring. However, Hancock, Mich. is ready to put on a winter celebration for anyone who is looking for something new to explore. Heikinpaiva is a Finnish holiday which celebrates St. Henrik and marks the middle of the winter season. Hancock has been hosting the celebration since 1999, and it draws many people in each year. The Copper Country has many strong Finnish ties and cultural influences since many Finns migrated here during the copper rush. Finnish or not, everyone is welcome to join in the week-long celebration.

Many of the events start within the next couple of days. On Friday, Jan. 19 at 6 p.m., there will be a dinner and a movie showing at the Calumet Theatre. Dinner will be provided by Kangas Cafe and the movie shown will be “Invisible Elina.” For those interested, please contact (906) 487- 2610.

There will also be a jouhikko performance and lecture on Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 6 p.m. at the Finnish American Heritage Center. The jouhikko is a traditional bowed lyre with two or three strings which originated from Finland and Russia. There is also a hands-on opportunity at this event, and the cost is $8 per person.

On Wednesday, Jan. 24 there will be a songwriting workshop with Jonathan Rundman, an Artist in Residence. It will take place at 6 p.m. in the Finnish American Heritage Center with a cost of $15 per person. There will be another workshop the following day, Thursday, Jan. 25. It’s a harmonium workshop also with Jonathan Rundman. It will be held at the Finnish American Heritage Center at 6 p.m. and will also cost $15 per person. Jonathan Rundman will then demonstrate his talent on Friday, Jan. 26 with a concert featuring his rock and roll selections. It will be held in the Chapel of St. Matthew at Finlandia University at 7 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 27 is when most of the events are taking place. The day starts with the opening of the tori markets at the Finnish American Heritage Center at 10 a.m. The markets will be open until 3 p.m., and they are a great place to find a gift for yourself or a loved one. There will be many home-baked goods, jewelry and other traditional Finnish crafts for sale. Also starting at 10 a.m. are the Vipukelkkas (whip-sleds), kicksleds, and other fun outdoor activities on the Quincy Green. At 11 a.m. the parade through downtown Hancock will begin from the La Cantina restaurant. Those interested in participating in the parade should line up in front of the restaurant 30 minutes before the start. The wife carrying races and kicksled contests will begin right after the parade on the Quincy Green. There will be two author talks on Saturday as well. One will start at 11 a.m. at North Wind Books featuring Karl Bohnak, author of “Sun Burns to Snowstorms.” The other talk will be given at 1 p.m. at the Finnish American Historical Archive featuring Kate Remlinger, author of “Yooper Talk.” At 3 p.m. the polar bear dive will begin on the Hancock Waterfront, and at 7 p.m. the day will close with a dance in the Finnish American Heritage Center.

Even though the busiest day is Saturday, the following days still have events planned. On Friday, Feb. 2 there will be a family game night at the Finnish American Heritage Center. It runs from 6:30 until 8:30 p.m. and cost $5 per family. For more information about the family game night, call (906) 523 – 6271.

Monday, Feb. 5 is when the celebration slows to an end. There are two workshops scheduled for the day. One is a squeaky cheese making workshop, and the other is an introduction to spinning workshop. They both offer classes at either 2 p.m. or 6 p.m. on that day and cost $15 per person.

The Heikinpaiva celebration is filled with various events centered around the Finnish culture. It’s a great way to learn more about a different culture or learn more about the one you might be tied to. Anyone interested in participating in a workshop should call (906) 482 – 1413 for class registration information.