Power to the polls: 2018 Sister March

Last year, on Jan. 21, 2017, citizens of the Keweenaw organized a march across the Portage Lake Lift Bridge in solidarity with the Women’s March on Washington. This year, on Sunday, Jan. 21st, at 1 p.m., the community is planning to march again in commemoration of the anniversary of the initial movement, and in the continued demonstration. Participants should plan to meet on the Houghton side of the bridge.

The theme of the Women’s March this year is Power to the Polls. The main event nationwide is going to be held in Las Vegas, NV, in recognition of its status as a battleground state in 2018 elections and because of the shooting that took place there this past Oct. 1. Events in Vegas, which include speakers such as television host Melissa Harris-Perry and actress Marisa Tomei, and a musical performance by Faith Evans, will be live-streamed on http://www.powertothepolls.com. The aim of Power to the Polls is to engage with voters, encourage women to run for office and to celebrate the success of the movement in 2017. The march will kick off a national voter registration tour.

Two official marches have been organized in Michigan in association with Power to the Polls, but sister marches have been planned in at least 7 other cities across the state, including the one that is scheduled to begin in Houghton Sunday.
Houghton organizers are hoping to double the number of participants from last year, when a crowd of around 500 braved the rain and cold temperatures in order to make their voices heard. With their signs and their words, participants supported each other with messages focusing on equality and respect for all members of the community, responding to what many perceived as disparaging comments against women and minorities by President Trump during the 2017 election. Though nationwide demonstrations began with a focus on women’s rights, Women’s March Michigan has issued a statement that the organization is “intentionally focused on intersectionality,” emphasizing that they “are here to listen to women from marginalized communities that are feeling left out of the movement.” The statement continues, “We encourage daring discussions with people who experience the world and their personhood differently.”

For more information about the marches taking place across Michigan, and other associated events and resources, go to womensmarchmichigan.org. Participants in Sunday’s march are encouraged to bring signs and to wear the movement’s quintessential pink hat. Hope to see you there!