The Copper Country Contra Dance

For years, the Keweenaw has had a bustling scene for Finnish culture and music. On Thursday, Nov. 16, a monthly dance was hosted at the Finnish American Heritage Center, complete with instruction in the art of Contra dancing and live music by the Thimbleberry Band. The event is held at the Finnish American Heritage Center on the third Thursday of every month and includes a potluck.

The history of traditional dance in the Keweenaw goes way back, and many of the participants involved in making the monthly Contra Dance possible have been dancing and making music for years. Oren Tikkanen, who played guitar with the Thimbleberry Band at the last monthly dance, said “I’ve been playing music for traditional dancing since the 1970s. Back in 1979, 1980, ‘81, ‘82, there were a couple of traditional music bands around here – three or four actually – and we would have square dances and contra dances a couple of times a month.” He continues, “there was an active Appalachian clogging group, and at the same time, my band and I were playing traditional Finnish and other ethnic music from the area. So that has been going on in kind of a spotty fashion since then. I think that the contra dances here at the Heritage Center [have been going on since] about four or five years ago.”

Before leaving to go to California, where she lived for many years, Alberti was well-known as a caller for traditional dancing in the Keweenaw. Her enthusiasm for dance was very apparent as she coached attendees in learning new moves. “It’s all about having fun,” she said. Before we began dancing, she emphasized that contra dancing can be taught to anyone, at any skill level. It is a group effort, similar to square dancing, and can be hilarious — especially for those who are new to the art.

Anyone who is interested in learning more about the art of Contra dancing should attend the next dance held at the Finnish American Heritage Center.