The Queens and King return: The 2017 drag show

The incredible Drag Queens (and King) are returning to Houghton for the 18th Annual Michigan Tech Drag Show this weekend. The show will be on Saturday, September 7 and it begins at 8 p.m. at the Rozsa Center. It is put on by the Keweenaw Pride organization, which seeks to bring about a positive atmosphere for the LGBTQIA+ community. Keweenaw Pride hosts numerous events such as Pride Week, the Color Run and other social activities. This show is sure to be as astounding as last year’s performance and you don’t want to miss out!

Last year, the drag show debuted its very first drag King, and this year he will be returning for another show of lights and glitter. This year’s performance is promising to be full of high-energy music, dancing, and audience participation. The drag show is about more than just costumes and glitter, it’s about finding yourself and being comfortable being you. The Queens exude confidence and happiness. They encourage everyone to be who they want to be and who they truly are. The show is an amazing opportunity to scream yourself hoarse, throw money at beautiful people, and feel like an accepted part of the world.
Each song that is chosen has a purpose, and it speaks to the different personalities of the individual Queens (and King). Some of them are soul-searching while some of them get your heartbeat pumping. Between songs, the Queens will come and ask the audience about themselves, talk to them a little bit, and sometimes just give a little pep talk.

They strongly encourage audience participation, so get a front seat if you can and show up early! Handing money to the performers is not only okay, it is encouraged, and the performers will often thank the person giving the money with a little extra attention, which is always fun. Make sure to bring a couple extra bucks because it’s easy to get swept up in the dazzling performance. They encourage you to take pictures of them and the show and post them on social media, so cameras are allowed! Some people dress up for the show, others come as they are, so there is no correct dress code for a drag show.
The show will cost $3 for students and $5 for the public, which is a low price for a night full of unbelievable costumes, loud, thumping music, and a beautiful performance by beautiful people.