East meets West

On April 27, at 8:30 p.m., Hiroya Tsuka­moto, a New York based guitarist from Kyo­to, Japan, will be performing at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Hancock.

“What I do is described as ‘cinematic gui­tar poetry,” which is the mixture of East and West including guitar music, storytelling, and poetry,” said Tsukamoto.

Tsukamoto’s musical talent has been de­veloping since childhood. “I grew up in rural part surrounded by mountains and spent lots of time in nature. So I think that affected my compositions. Also, my mother plays traditional string instruments called Shamisen and Koto. I began playing banjo at the age of 12.”

Since then, Tsukamoto’s career has bloomed. So far, Tsukamoto has released six albums. After receiving a scholarship to Berklee College of Music in Boston, he be­gan playing at shows across the country, al­though this will be his first show in the Up­per Peninsula.

However, attending Berklee College of Music has been a double-edged sword for Tsukamoto. Although his education instilled in him a deeper understanding of music the­ory and composition, it sometimes interferes with his ability to write freely.

“I learned so many things in Berklee. There were some teachers who taught me to see music in a mathematical way, which was eye-opening for me. Before, I thought music should be more artistic and intuitive. I sometimes try to stay away from the aca­demic stuff. I want to play whatever I feel,” said Tsukamoto.

His inspirations include musicians with creative styles, the various locations to which he travels and people he meets along the way. He also loves music from the 1960s and 1970s. “In my house, American ‘60s and 70s music was always playing, such as The Car­penters and Simon & Garfunkel. When I was in elementary school, I really liked that stuff,” Tsukamoto said. “I tried singing along even though I didn’t know any English.”

Tsukamoto has been highly rated by sev­eral news outlets. Jazzreview.com wrote, “Chops, passion and warmth. Zealously recommended!” while the Boston Herald described his show as an “impressionistic journey.” His website characterizes his music as “eclectic, immersive and mesmerizing.”

Tickets for Tsukamoto’s show are $15 for adults and $12 for students. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Refreshments and pizza will be available for purchase at Studio Pizza, which is connected to The Orpheum Theater. Samples of Hiroya Tsukamoto’s work can be heard on his website at http://www.hiroyat­sukamoto.com/epk.html.