Cesar Chavez Day 2017

Though it is known by many as an annual event at Michigan Tech, Cesar Chavez Day of Service and Learning is a nationwide tra­dition. The national holiday commemorating the legacy of Cesar Chavez was first signed into law in California in the year 2000, and has since become an informal holiday in sev­eral other states, including Michigan. Satur­day, April 1, students of Michigan Tech hon­ored the legacy of Cesar Chavez with works of service common to celebrations across the country. The event was hosted by Student Activities, the Undergraduate Student Gov­ernment, and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. The day also consisted of educational demonstrations in the MUB, followed by teams of students going out to engage in service projects in Houghton and surround­ing areas.

Among the goals of these projects, whose focus was on solving problems in the com­munity and in helping to complete tasks by bringing people together to accomplish them, the goals of these projects was o en­hance the spirit of service in the community of students at Tech. Some groups of students performed a variety of different kinds of yard work. One group of students, including my­self, had the privilege of visiting the Hough­ton County Historical Society in Lake Lin­den. Our tasks pertained to housekeeping inside and outside of the museum, and we delighted in hearing more about the history of the region as we worked. HCHS operates entirely on volunteer efforts. Once the site of the largest copper milling operation in North America, it is an invaluable landmark for lo­cal culture.

Student volunteers were strongly encour­aged to reflect upon the experiences they had serving. Take aways from serving the community and being involved can be im­portant to bringing a sense of purpose to those who do so. Volunteering is a great way to learn more about yourself, others, and the places around you.