Business Spotlight: Four Seasons Tea Room

There’s nothing like a hot cup of tea to thaw one’s frozen bones after a long day of trudging through the bitter Upper Penin­sula cold. Like the strongest of medicines, it warms the body and soothes the spirit. It can be bitter, sweet, smoky, tangy and any­thing in between. For every palate, there is a matching tea. With 80 on-menu and 25 off-menu choices, one is sure to find their “cup of tea” at The Four Seasons Tea Room in downtown Houghton.

Since 2002, The Four Seasons Tea Room has been delighting, charming and calm­ing residents of Houghton with its classic atmosphere and delicious selection of teas and gourmet items.With the help of her Anglophile mother, Laverne Witto, An­drea Schuldt established the Tea Room in what was once an apothecary for over 100 years. Reminders of the Tea Room’s previ­ous life remain in the form of century-old cabinets and a large safe.

Although the quiet, romantic interior of The Four Sea­sons Tea Room may bring forth visions of the Gilded Age, today, it attracts people of all ages. Children enjoy dressing up in the many hats that adorn the walls of the Tea Room and playing with nursery rhyme tea sets. Meanwhile, adults and college students take advantage of the expansive menu and stress-relieving properties of the dreamy ambience. “It was my mother who had a fascination with tea,” said Schuldt. “I was more about the food. I’m a bit of a foodie. I learned to bake from my Finnish grandmother. I make about ninety percent of the food myself. I didn’t even drink tea for the first five years that we owned the tea room, but lately, I’ve gotten into green teas. Even I can be won over, and that says something important about tea. I’m addicted to the watermelon lime basil.”

For those who have yet to find a favorite tea, The Four Seasons Tea Room offers an inexpensive way to sample new varieties. On Thursday, March 30, The Four Seasons Tea Room will be holding a tea sampling party. Participation costs $12.99. Reserva­tions are required. Five mystery teas will be available for tasting along with specially selected food pairings meant to enhance their unique flavors. These mystery teas, if well received, will be added to the summer menu. “Tea is like wine,” said Schuldt. “It’s influ­enced by what you’re eating with it. We’ll be serving cakes, fruits and cheeses with our new teas.”

For those unable to attend the event on March 30, an additional tea sampling party will be held in May. Otherwise, all-you-can-drink tea is available during all operat­ing hours at The Four Seasons Tea Room for only $4.00. Food options include soups, sandwiches, casseroles and desserts. Glu­ten free options are available.

For more information about The Four Seasons Tea Room, including a menu, please visit https://www.fourseasonstea­room.com/ or call 906-482-3233. Updates on upcoming events can be found on The Four Seasons Tea Room Facebook page. Andrea Schuldt can also be reached at fourseasonstearoom@yahoo.com.